Is Bariatric Surgery the right choice for me?
Once a person decides that he or she is interested in weight loss surgery, the first step is to become informed about the surgery options and reach out to a clinicians such as a primary care doctor and a batiatric specialist. To be considered for bariatric surgery, you must go through a thorough screening and evaluation process. This helps to ensure that weight loss surgery is the best decision for you and your health.
By attending a bariatric information session with Dr Shillingford, potential patients can gather more information about the different types of weight loss surgeries offered, the post-surgery lifestyle, and other important aspects relating to the bariatric surgery journey.
Are you a candidate?
Weight loss surgery offers substantial health benefits, however, it is not for everyone. In order to undergo bariatric surgery, patients must be significantly overweight. Anyone with a body mass index higher than 40 is considered morbidly obese and may be a good candidate. Those who are somewhat less obese but are suffering from heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, or other obesity-related health conditions will also be considered for weight loss surgery at our center. To help determine whether you are a candidate for bariatric surgery, you can begin by calculating your BMI, scheduling a consultation, and filling out our patient forms to bring with you to your consultation.
Patients must also be psychologically prepared to undergo treatment. Bariatric surgery requires a commitment to a very different lifestyle, including strict dietary and exercise requirements.
For those interested in weight loss surgery, Dr Shillingford offers free information sessions. Risks, benefits, potential complications, and our approach to the weight loss process are all discussed in detail.
Considering the cost of treatment is an important part of deciding whether to undergo weight loss surgery. Our staff works with patients understand insurance benefits, and in many cases insurance will cover weight loss surgery as a medical necessity. For patients whose insurance providers will not cover the cost of treatment, we collaborate with third party lending institutions to offer a number of affordable financing plans.
If you are ready to explore weight loss surgery, contact us or attend a free information session
I have decided to have Bariatric Surgery- What’s next?
What you need to do
- The first step is to schedule your attendance at the Information session
- Make an appointment with your primary care doctor and ask them to provide us a letter of support endorsing you as a candidate for bariatric surgery and outlining the health problems to be addressed with surgery
- Provide us with your documented complete weight loss history including diet, exercise, and other relevant information
- Finally, make an appointment with Dr Shillingford to discuss details about the choice of surgery and postoperative expectations
What We Do
- We will submit request for authorization a letter of medical necessity from your primary care doctor and Dr. Shillingford to insurance upon receipt of current insurance information and completed health questionnaire
- Upon confirmation of covered benefits, we will be happy to refer for testing and evaluation with a mental health professional as determined by your insurance plan.
- After your psychological evaluation, our team meets to discuss each case. Upon approval by our team and written prior authorization from your insurance provider, surgery will be scheduled at either Northwest Medical Center or Coral Springs Medical Center
- Pre-operative education includes appointments with Dr Shillingford and the practice nutritionist
- Patients will need to have preoperative blood tests, EKG and chest X-rays along with medical clearance from their primary care physicians and other health care consultants if necessary. Some people may require stress test and/or sleep study prior to scheduling surgery
- All follow-up care and appointments are with Dr Shillingford at his office in West Boca Raton, Florida