Non Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas
Tired of turkey? Not a fan of the taste? Don’t have enough time to roast it? Or do you just not need a twenty pound bird? Whatever the reason, if you don’t want turkey this Thanksgiving, there are plenty of other great options that can be delicious and festive.
Going non traditional may be a good way to help slim down your menu. Steering away from traditional fatty gravy and starchy sides may help gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and gastric band patients be more mindful of their holiday intake and prevent holiday weight gain. Holidays are notoriously difficult times to lose weight, and going non traditional may be just what some bariatric patients need.
We’ve rounded up a few ideas to inspire your holiday menu:
- Pork Tenderloin- Pork tenderloin cooks much faster than turkey and blends well with traditional Thanksgiving flavors like apple, cranberry, and sweet potato. Small tenderloins can be easy to find if you have a small crowd to feed, or larger loins can be made for bigger crowds. Try
Sage and Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin or Herb Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pears.
- Whole Roasted Chicken- The smaller size means much less cooking time, yet it fits right in with a traditional Thanksgiving menu. Recipes abound for whole roasted chicken, but two classics are Martha Stewart’s and Jamie Oliver’s.
- Crown Roast of Lamb- This makes for an impressive Thanksgiving table. Try Alton Brown’s recipe or this foolproof way from Serious Eats.
- Prime Rib- Beef can be tough for some gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, or lap band patients to tolerate, so only attempt beef this Thanksgiving protein you know you can tolerate it.
- Ham- Ham is another traditional holiday menu selection, so it should be easily found in all varieties and sizes this time of the year.
- Salmon- Fish on Thanksgiving? Why not? Salmon is elegant enough for a holiday meal and easy to find, even at a store full of turkeys. Try this Spice Rubbed Salmon which incorporates seasonal pomegranates for an extra holiday touch.
Whatever you choose as the centerpiece for your Thanksgiving meal, remember to take your time eating, chew your food well, and enjoy the meal and the company.
The above suggestions are offered by Dr. Shillingford, M.D., P.A., a board certified surgeon specializing in advanced laparoscopic and obesity surgery. Dr. Shillingford’s Boca Raton office is conveniently located close to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Wellington, Parkland, and Coral Springs, but also sees clients from all over Florida including Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Naples. Dr. Shillingford’s gastric sleeve, gastric bypass, and lap band patients are committed to weight loss success after their bariatric procedures, and are often looking for food ideas to inspire their continued weight loss efforts.